Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A great blog by Skylab 2000

I like Dj’s. I sometimes Dj. In fact I even have some friends who are Dj’s. :)
But skylab2000 is a LIVE PERFORMANCE.

A lot of people ask about the difference between a DJ and a live performance.

Imagine a giant painting. A DJ basically creates that painting as a collage – two pictures, painted by other artists, blended into one new one.

We all love a great DJ, but a live performance takes that MUCH further, creating an entirely new painting LIVE on stage!

When I play live as skylab2000, I have all the basic parts of the music broken down and available to use or not use, based on how I feel that exact second. Do I want some more bass in that track? More kick drums? How about these vocals? A great crowd wants it harder? A live skylab2000 show involves multiple synthesizers, samplers, and effects units, and well over a dozen sources of sound at any given moment, giving me the ultimate flexibility.

That’s a lot of choices compared to DJing where we often have just have two – the left turntable, or the right turntable.

Juggling so many elements is quite an art form. That element of danger means that every single time I play a track that version is brand new, and never will be the same again. Each show is tailored to the crowd at that exact second. When you see skylab2000, you can ONLY hear that track, that way, that very moment.

I travel with a lot of gear, and month after month there are new challenges, but for over a decade now, I’ve been taking a bunch gear out on the road and doing it LIVE as skylab2000.


Keep music alive. Support LIVE electronic music!

(PROMOTERS: WE ARE BOOKING SUMMER EVENTS NOW - PLEASE CONTACT ME AS SOON AS YOU CAN TO GET THE SUMMER DATE YOU WANT.)

Check out http://skylab2000.com and http://myspace.com/skylab2000

|_e_/ Dennis Barton <db@skylab2000.com>
) skylab2000
~../.. Brainforest Productions, Los Angeles
/ http://skylab2000.com